“Do comics fanboys realize how ridiculous they are? Like, do they get that other hobbies don’t do this?
Comics Fanboys: You’re not a comics fan unless you know the origin of Beppo the Super Monkey. Also, name eighteen Green Lanterns, not counting Katma Tui.
Knitters: You’re not a knitter unless you have a pair of needles. Do you have a pair of needles? I can lend you a pair of needles.”—
I ran a tape trading list for Dark Shadows fandom back in the day. I was new to fandom and was immediately welcomed (and handed fandom responsibilities). No one realized that I was in high school at time (this was before the internet so everything was done via snail mail) but still, they were so awesome to me. To this day, I look out for baby fans so they have a positive experience like I did back then.
A ship and an otp are two totally different things. A ship is something that you think about every once in a while that makes you smile for a bit and then you don’t think about it again for a week or so. An otp is something that makes you sob for hours on end as you stay up until 3 in the morning reading fanfiction as you lie in your bed in a puddle of your own tears contemplating you life choices.
When I worked at a non-profit that handled suicide prevention, I had access to the donation records. Each month, a specific man donated 15$ to our organization. It was like clockwork.. same day, same man, he had been doing this for over 4 years. It always seemed odd to me but I never questioned it… until I saw a note attached one month. "For Noah- Dad"
his donation was once his child’s allowance.
I can promise you, they would miss you for the rest of their lives.
“Louisa May Alcott wrote Little Women for the money. And it made her miserable.
As a young writer, Alcott concentrated on lurid pulp stories of revenge, murder, and adultery–“blood and thunder” literature, as she called i–and enjoyed writing very much. She was in her mid 30s when an editor suggested she try writing a book for girls. Alcott wasn’t very interested, but her father was a complete moron with money and had left the family in terrible financial trouble. Alcott wrote Little Women in hopes of some decent sales and a little breathing room and got way more than she asked for. The money in sequels was too good to turn down (and her father didn’t get any smarter with a dime), but Alcott hated writing what she called “moral pap for the young” and longed to return to the smut and violence of her early endeavors.”—
“I spent about 80 percent of my time talking about Buffy. And the other 20 percent of the time, I was praying for someone else to bring her up, so I could talk about her more.”—Faith Lehane (via incorrectbuffyquotes)